I thought it would be fun to spend this week doing a series of these. I have a few done for other decades as well but I wanted to fill in the blanks and put them all together to use as a scrapbooking resources. Hope you have enjoyed Retro Week!
Today, I bring you the 2000s!
It's a little trickier to do a retro post on a period of time that just barely ended. Sometimes you need a little distance before you can properly analyze the past. I thought I would redo a post from 2007 that sort of summarizes how much our lives changed in the 2000s and how rapidly it all occurred. It truly was difficult to keep up with!
You know you are living in the 2000s when:
1. You accidentally enter your password on the microwave.
2. You haven't played solitaire with real cards in years.
3. You have a list of 15 phone numbers to reach your family of 3.
4. You e-mail the person who works at the desk next to you.
5. Your reason for not staying in touch with friends and family is that they don't have e-mail addresses.
6. You pull up in your own driveway and use your cell phone to see if anyone is home to help you carry in the groceries.
7. Every commercial on television has a web site at the bottom of the screen.
8. Leaving the house without your cell phone, which you didn't have the first 20 or 30 (or 60) years of your life, is now a cause for panic and you turn around to go and get it.
10. You get up in the morning and go on line before getting your coffee.
11. You start tilting your head sideways to smile. : )
12. You're reading this and nodding and laughing.
13. Even worse, you know exactly to whom you are going to forward this message.
14. You are too busy to notice there was no #9 on this list.
15. You actually scrolled back up to check that there wasn't a #9 on this list
AND NOW U R LAUGHING at yourself.
I've pretty much done all of them! I haven't really entered my password on the microwave, but I have gotten confused when using keypads for alarms and stuff - LOL! Oh, yes... I do think in terms of LOL, ROFL, and I end about every sentence with :) - KWIM?
I think that is why I like this commercial so much - it's a good summary of how technical we got in the 2000s.
Some notable trends and happenings of the 2000s:
- iphones and smart phones
- Pluto no longer a planet
- Google becomes a verb
- Wireless networks
- Rock Band
- USB flash drives
- Blue Rays
- High Def
- reality tv
- reusable grocery bags
- Hybrid (vehicles and scrapbooking)
- Digital Cameras
- Digital Scrapbooking
Some other fun sites with information about the first 10 years of the 2000s: